The Federal Court has been urged to consider all the evidence in Najib Razak’s SRC International appeal, including the results of investigations into several “key players”.
Umno Supreme Council member Rahman Dahlan said “new information” from former attorney-general Tommy Thomas and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on the involvement of several prominent individuals in 1MDB showed that “there is more evidence that should not be ignored”.
“I hope that the apex court will consider the latest developments, including the MACC’s statement about individuals who were found to be compromised because they were ‘players’ themselves in the matter,” the former minister in the Najib administration told FMT.
On Wednesday, the Court of Appeal decided to uphold the conviction and sentence of the former prime minister on seven charges of abuse of power, criminal breach of trust and money laundering involving SRC International funds totalling RM42 million.
Najib has filed a notice of appeal to the Federal Court.
Last month, Thomas revealed that the investigation into former Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) governor Zeti Akhtar Aziz and her husband, Tawfiq Ayman, over their involvement in the 1MDB scandal was never completed during his tenure as attorney-general.
Rahman, who is also the former Kota Belud MP, said questions had been raised regarding the role of Zeti’s family in the affair.
“The people want to know whether there is a connection between her case and Najib’s case,” he said.
He said he had previously called for the court’s decision on Najib’s case to be postponed so that a comprehensive assessment could be done on Zeti’s involvement.
“What is wrong with first investigating the individual mentioned in the MACC statement?” he asked.
“Complete the investigation and only then make a decision.”
In a statement yesterday, the Umno Supreme Council expressed regret over the decision on Najib’s appeal and said it hoped the appeal would be heard fairly in the Federal Court.
Party secretary-general Ahmad Maslan said that, without disrespecting the decision of the Court of Appeal, many considered the allegations involving several figures after the 14th general election (GE14) to be politically motivated.
Meanwhile, deputy home minister Ismail Mohamed Said told the Dewan Rakyat yesterday police had completed their probe into Tawfiq and the investigation papers had been submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers on Oct 21.
“However, the AGC then instructed the police to further investigate the case,” he said