KUALA LUMPUR: Former youth and sports minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman maintained his “not guilty” plea on charges of money-laundering involving RM100,000 in his bank accounts.
His plea was recorded before sessions court judge Suzana Hussin here today, after the money laundering charges were transferred from the Johor Bahru sessions court.
Syed Saddiq was accused of transferring a total of RM100,000, allegedly the proceeds from illegal activities, from his Maybank account to his Amanah Saham Bumiputera account, between June 16 and June 19 in 2018.
The charges carry a maximum penalty of 15 years jail and a fine of not less than five times of the alleged illegal proceeds.
The prosecution told the Johor Bahru sessions court last month that they wanted to move the money laundering case here as the potential witnesses are the same as those in another case in which Syed Saddiq is accused of criminal breach of trust.
Suzana fixed Nov 30 for mention after Syed Saddiq’s lawyer Haijan Omar said an application for a transfer of the two cases will be heard by the High Court on Nov 25.
Syed Saddiq claimed trial on July 22 to two charges of allegedly misappropriating a total of RM1.12 million of funds from Bersatu Youth, when he was the head of the youth wing. He was released on RM330,000 bail.